Return to Media List
Wednesday, April 02, 2008
STATER BROS. CHARITIES RAISES $427,000
At Inaugural “Heroes with Hearts Challenge” Golf Tournament.
San Bernardino, California (Wednesday, April 02, 2008) -
Charity Pro-Am Golf Tournament included Six Medal of Honor Recipients
Stater Bros. Markets announced today that its new philanthropic arm, Stater Bros. Charities, raised $427,000 at the 1st Annual “Stater Bros. Presents Dave Stockton’s Heroes with Hearts Challenge.” Stater Bros. Chairman and CEO Jack H. Brown and long-time friend and PGA Champions Tour Pro Dave Stockton partnered together to launch one of the largest and most far-reaching charity golf tournaments in the Inland Empire. Held on Monday, March 3,2008 at Redlands Country Club, the “Heroes With Hearts Challenge” included several of Stockton’s PGA Tour friends. In addition, Brown and Stockton invited six Medal of Honor Recipients to participate in the golf tournament as well as the preceding events, which included a visit to Jerry L. Pettis Memorial V.A. Hospital in Loma Linda and a formal reception at Stater Bros. Corporate Offices to honor these brave Americans who each earned our Nation’s highest award for military heroism during the Vietnam War.
- First Lieutenant Harvey C. Barnum, Jr., U.S. Marine Corps Company H, 2nd Battalion, 9th Marines, 3rd Marine Division. U.S. Navy Medal of Honor presented on February 27, 1967 by Secretary of Navy Paul Nitze
- Major Bruce P. Crandall, U.S. Army Company A, 229th Assault Helicopter Battalion, 1st Cavalry Division (Airmobile). U.S. Army Medal of Honor presented on February 26, 2007 by President George W. Bush
- Captain Robert J. Modrzejewski , U.S. Marine Corps Company K, 3rd Battalion, 4th Marines, 3rd Marine Division. U.S. Navy Medal of Honor presented on March 12, 1968 by President Lyndon Johnson
- First Lieutenant Ronald E. Ray, U.S. Army Company A, 2nd Battalion, 35th Infantry, 25th Infantry Division. U.S. Army Medal of Honor presented on May 14, 1970 by President Richard Nixon
- First Lieutenant James A. Taylor, U. S. Army Troop B, 1st Cavalry, Americal Division. U.S. Army Medal of Honor presented on November 19, 1968 by President Lyndon Johnson
- Captain Jay R. Vargas, U.S. Marine Corps Company G, 2nd Battalion, 4th Marines, 9th Marine Amphibious Brigade. U.S. Navy Medal of Honor Presented on May 14, 1970 by President Richard Nixon
The “Heroes With Hearts Challenge” was the first fund raising event for the newly established Stater Bros. Charities, which will support non-profit organizations in the communities served by Stater Bros. Markets. As previously announced, part of the proceeds from this event will benefit four Inland Empire Charities: Candlelighters Childhood Cancer Foundation of the Inland Empire, VA Loma Linda Healthcare System, Operation SafeHouse, and The Unforgettables Foundation. A total of $250,000 will be divided between these four local organizations as well as the Medal of Honor Society Scholarship Fund, in honor of the six Medal of Honor recipients whose presence helped to make the golf tournament a very successful event.
“The Stater Bros. ‘Family’ of Employees is extremely proud of the outstanding success of this year’s ‘Heroes with Hearts Challenge’ golf tournament,” stated Brown. “With the help of my good friend Dave Stockton and numerous vendor sponsors, we were able to raise much needed funds to help these four worthy charities as well as establish Stater Bros. Charities, which will continue to help many other local non-profit organizations for years to come.”
About Stater Bros. Charities
For more than 71 years, Stater Bros. Markets has been a pillar of support in the local community. Last year, Stater Bros. contributed more than $15 million to local non-profit organizations. Now the company has established a new venture, Stater Bros. Charities, a 501(c)(3) non-profit organization. The purpose of Stater Bros. Charities is to give back to the communities Stater Bros. Markets is privileged to serve. With an emphasis on programs that benefit hunger relief, health, nutrition, and education, Stater Bros. Charities will be able to help with some of the most critical needs in communities throughout Southern California.
About Stater Bros. Markets
Stater Bros. was founded in 1936 in Yucaipa, California, and has grown steadily through the years to become the largest privately owned Supermarket Chain in Southern California and the largest employer in both San Bernardino County and Riverside County, with annual sales in 2007 of $3.7 billion. The Company currently operates 164 Supermarkets, and there are over 19,000 members of the Stater Bros. “Family” of Employees.
STATER BROS. MARKETS...SERVING SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA FAMILIES FOR 71 YEARS